Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More like Ray


So let's just get this straight now... Ray Jay is a little misleading as far as a blog name goes. It is really just me doing this. If Jay was blogging I would have to question a few things. This is more like a random colection of stupid crap I say. Of course, I think I am always saying stupid crap, so what's new?

Okay, time for a random book review! Yes, I just finished reading this novel which I would highly recommend to those who enjoy litterature. Now I have to have a quick snob momment when I say that litterature is very different from just a fun book. To illustrate, "War and Peace" = Litterature... "Twilight" = fun to read but not great writing. "Empire Falls" (another great recommend by Richard Russo)= Litterature... "Harry Potter" = don't get me wrong, I LOVE HARRY POTTER and I am proud, but it is not Litterature though I do believe that it is great writing. Back to the point at hand. I just finished a book called "Await Your Reply" by Dan Chaon and I thought it was amazing! It is this darker book where three different stories are told simultaneously but all share a common thread. It explores the nature of identity and leaves you thinking about your own. Chaon is one of my new favs and I am planning to Barnes and Noble it up and check out his other works. And shut your mouth, I just found on youtube a trailer for the book??? Yeah I didn'tknow they did that but it is pretty cool... quick warning, it does show images of a severed hand, gross I know, but you should still check this out. Here is the link to the youtube video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtH3PRoQzWw .

So for all of the hoards of people who read this (ha ha) here is an update on our new casa de Blackford!!! I cooked my first meal in our new little kitchen last night. It went really well, but I am still trying to remember where I stashed all of our stuff. If I get around to it today, I am also considering baking a cake. Why you may ask? The answer is simply because I want cake, and since this is my house who is going to stop me... I will resume my work out regime soon anyway.

Jay and I have been back and forth to Home Depot a ridiculous amount of times and here is part of the reason why. Why is it that everytime you are looking for something at HD, the workers point in a direction and give you cryptic clues to where this one item is in this huge store??? Everytime there is always one thing on my list that I totally abandon because I loose patience after 10 minutes walking up and down the isles of that collosal warehouse and end up with nothing. You can practically get shin splints after walking around in there. It is like the worlds greatest game of "Where's Waldo?"... you can spend a stupid amount of time looking for the smallest thing until you feel like an idiot and you leave trying to disguise the fact that you have been defeated by the almighty Home Depot.

Alright, back to sorting through random boxes for me. Till next time...

3 comments:

  1. I think I will have to read that one. I hope your cake turns out yummy, miss domestic! I wish I could come help you eat it :) The snow is CRAZY!!! PS. My step-mom said to tell you to add another reader to your long list.lol. She linked your blog form mine to see what you guys were up to. Aparently my brother talks about you guys all the time and how cool you were.lol. Anyways stay warm today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is adorable... oh sweet Trev! Did you watch the trailer? It is kind of messed up. I will say there are a couple of bad words, but not more than 10 through out the whole book. It is pretty clean minus the severed hand. Which p.s. is not a spolier because that is how the book opens.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your description of literature versus fun reading... 10 years ago I would agree and laugh (snobbishly) but alas my brain has given away so many cells that Twilight is my literature. I will start being smart again, I promise. Until then, I'll leave that to you.

    ReplyDelete