Monday, February 8, 2010

One Thousand White Women


Alrighty everyone, I just finished another book by Jim Fergus titled, One Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd and I must say that it was fantastic! Let me give you the quick run down, and I promise I will try not to give too much away in case someone decides to read it! This fictional novel recounts the story of a woman named May Dodd through her journals. The Chief of the Cheyenne's named Little Wolf meets with President Grant and asks the US government to gift them 1000 white women in order to better mix the indian people with the whites. Although the novel is fictional, this event did in fact take place but President Grant refused, but the novel however, tells the story as if the President had agreed. May Dodd is one such woman who joins the program in order to gain her freedom, and the story recounts her experience. One of the most interesting things about this novel, as well as its author, is that although it was written by a man, but he chooses to tell the story from the point of view of a woman. I love stories involving the great American west and if I were to give this a rating I would say it was 5 out of 5 stars for me. If anyone decides to read this let me know, I would love to hear your thoughts...

Next on my reading agenda is The Miracles of Santo Fico by DL Smith. If anyone would like to read along, let me know I would love to chat about it as we go along!

And finally, I have to throw in this quick bit of randomness, but since last night Jay and I noticed this strange high pitched noise that sounds very mechanical that is coming from his night stand and I swear we cannot figure out what it is. I thought that maybe it was just some random anomaly until a few minutes ago when it started up again. It is driving me crazy. I fell asleep last night trying to think of what it could be, even wondering if it could be something sinister, like a haunting of some sort except the purpose isn't meant to scare but rather make me nuts. Mission complete if that is what it is trying to do. I also have to note that I have begun to wonder about the goings-on at my house before we moved. I have recently noticed that on every door in my house where the metal rectangle thing goes into the hole in the door jam... everyone following me here... the thing that either retracts or comes out when you turn the handle... anyway, all of those things have a Jesus fish drawn onto them, everyone! So I started to wonder why... where they trying to keep them selves safe, and if so from what? Just saying WTF... (F in this case standing for "Freak", not something worse). I better wrap this up before people think I am crazy, or perhaps it is too late for that.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know that about the doors. Very interesting. I knew they had drawn other religious symbols around, but not that particular thing. Hmmm...I wonder why. I bet it was more that they were just more religious and maybe trying to encourage the other guys to follow suit (aka Maxim man). That is my thought, or pherhaps a little superstitious. The book sounds good I will add it to my list. :)

    ReplyDelete